Friday, January 8, 2010

Detroit awaits the arrival of the Underwear Bomber

It was a pretty surreal atmosphere down in front of the federal court building in Detroit this afternoon. Media folks from all over the country were setting up cameras outside the courthouse on Lafayette Boulevard, eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Nigerian kid who packed his drawers full of explosives on that flight landing at Metro Airport on Christmas. In addition to the cameramen and reporters, there were police officers everywhere, even on horseback. Media helicopters circled overhead.

In front of the courthouse, there was a small group of Muslims and a small group of Nigerians, all looking to separate themselves from Frankie Flashpants by carrying American flags and signs that read, "Terrorism is bad!" and "Don't look at me, I don't even wear underwear!" (I'm paraphrasing, of course.) 

We'll see if anything eventful happens today. The scheduled hearing is supposed to last no longer than a few minutes, at which point I assume Captain Elastic will head back to his new digs in Milan. If you ask me, I think they should make him walk back.