Thursday, June 24, 2010

"The Church With The Hole In The Roof..."

With a few bags of old kids' clothing, I stopped by The Pilgrim Church/I Am My Brother's Keeper Ministries yesterday, hoping I might finally get a chance to look inside the old building. As the subject of Mitch Albom's most recent book "Have A Little Faith", I Am My Brother's Keeper is an ancient, beat up old church on Trumbull near Grand River. When I visited the church a few months ago, I didn't get a chance to go inside. This time I was hoping to get a peak.

I did better than that. I was greeted outside by a man who worked for the church, and he not only gave me a quick tour of the sanctuary, but he also introduced me to a few people who were sitting outside just across the street, including Pastor Henry Covington, who was one of the primary characters in "Have A Little Faith".

They were all really nice people, and very thankful for the donation of clothing. In the picture above, you might notice that the pews on the left side are lined with grocery bags full of food. Those are for the people who come to worship. Also notice the square tile on the ceiling. That's actually a plaque, placed where the famous hole used to be; it lists all of the people who donated to have the hole repaired.