Friday, September 11, 2009

Commemorating 9/11 in downtown Detroit

Waiting for Mayor Dave Bing to say a few words during the 9/11 commemoration at Campus Martius Park Friday morning, I was startled when I looked to my right and found Robert Bobb seated next me. (Bobb, in case you’re not aware, is the Detroit Public Schools emergency financial manager, whose job it is to try and squeeze a quart of juice from a single orange.)

It suddenly it dawned on me: Man, this Kage press pass will get you about anywhere! (Little do they know that my Kage press pass is actually a quickly flashed, laminated Alan Trammell rookie card.)

Anyway, the 9/11 commemoration downtown was a neat experience, with all of the uniformed officers, the motorcade circling the park, and the local higher-ups offering a few words. The color guard was on hand, marching to sounds of a guy playing the bagpipes. At one point, an Army helicopter flew overhead. It was truly a unique experience.

Bing was brief (unlike a couple of the event’s windier speakers) and eloquent, tipping his hat to members of the police and fire departments who were on hand. I wish I had had my better camera with me, but at some point I'll get around to posting some the few decent iPhone pictures I took.