Tuesday, September 22, 2009

It’s Long Gone! The last of Tiger Stadium falls

Until Monday morning, there was a 15-foot high sprout of the old building popping up behind the mesh construction fence. It didn’t look like much, but anyone familiar with the old Tiger Stadium could recognize that blue steel and gray concrete.

Now it’s gone.

The last of Tiger Stadium officially fell earlier this week, leaving only a pile of broken cement and snarled steel at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull. Rumor has it that remnants of the remaining heap are available, although it might take a little creativity to get your hands on it. I plan on trying.

If I’m lucky enough to land some of it, I’ll be sure to post it here. And no, I won’t hoard whatever I’m able to grab. Hopefully they’ll be chunks of brick to go around. (Your Kage Rewards Points will qualify you for a piece or two, if it’s available.)